Needham Family

subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

Residences - Clapham's & Needham's Sheffield

 

Sheffield Streets - Clapham's and Needham's (Their Origins and lives)

It is believed that Henry Clapham's parents, Jeremiah and Dinah, came from North Yorkshire. There are no Clapham's in the Sheffield parish records before Jeremiah and Dinah and in the 1851 census Dinahs' birth place is described as Brown Bank. There is only one Brown Bank on the OS map of Great Britain and that is just outside Fewston. Finally, a Dinah Hudson and Jeremiah Clapham were married in Fewston, North Yorkshire in June 1812 and moved to Pea Croft sometime in 1819 see later. If this is correct then Dinah came from Fewston and Jeremiah was born in Hartwith cum Wensley but at the time of their marriage he was living in Harewood. Between 1813 and 1819 they had three children baptised in Harewood: William bap 1813, May bap 1815 and Elizabeth bap 1819. In Sheffield the earliest reference to the Clapham family is in 1819 when an Elizabeth Clapham was baptised on 3 Oct but born on 21 July 1819; was there a double baptism; Jeremiah is described as a farmer. In 1824 Jeremiah and Dinah were living at 13 Pea Croft and another Elizabeth Clapham was baptised on 13 Apr; clearly unless there are two Clapham families the younger Elizabeth must have died. Jeremiah is described as a labourer. Besides Elizabeth, Jeremiah & Dinah had three other

Sink Waste Channel in Court 1, Pea Croft around 1900

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sink Waste Channel in Court 1, Pea Croft around 1900

Location: Sheffield_Crofts_Netherthorpe

 

source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

children born in Sheffield; John Clapham bap Feb 1821, Jeremiah Clapham bap 11 Mar 1824 & Henry Clapham born about 1829; I haven't found a baptism record for Henry. Pea Croft was where Jeremiah & Dinah Clapham first appeared in Sheffield. They ran shops; Jeremiah in Pigot's Directory of 1828/9 is listed under Groceries' and Sundries at 26 Pea Croft. He is described as a grocer in 1823 on the baptism record of daughter Elizabeth. A Jeremiah Clapham was buried in St Georges' Church on 31 Oct 1830. He is not in the 1841 census and Dinah is described as a widow in the 1851 census. On the marriage certificate of Henry Clapham, his father Jeremiah is described as a huckster What of Dinah. In White's Directory of 1833 Dinah Clapham is described as a shop keeper at 27 Peacroft. She appears again in 1841, 1845 and 1862 living at 59 Pea Croft as a shop keeper and finally in the 1851 census she's described as a green grocer living at 69 Pea Croft. I haven't found her death.

Pea Croft

With the developing cutlery and tool industries in Sheffield many people were drawn into the city in search of work frequently settling in "The Crofts" area of the town. The Crofts was centred on Solly Street (then called Pea Croft) and at that time was the centre of the Sheffield steel, cutlery and filemaking industries. It was an area of working class tenements and back to back housing interspersed with iron and steel works and small workshops making cutlery and hand tools.

 

 

 

 

 

 

General street view on Pea Croft Source: Photobucket

 

 

 

 

Henry Clapham was born on Pea Croft in 1829 and was living there in 1841. He married Sarah Thompson in 1850 where his marriage certificate states he was living on Howard Street and working as a filecutter. Sarah and Henry move and in 1851 are living at 135 Pond Street with his brother in law. In 1855 they've moved again and are now living at 12 Turner Road. Henry and his family stay on Turner road until the mid 70's. In 1861 he is described as a grocer, he appears in Whites' Directory as a shop and cow keeper in 1864 and as a shopkeeper in 1868. By 1871 he is a beer house keeper running the Midlands Hotel. By 1876, however, Henry and Sarah have moved again and are by now running The Grapes on Trippet Lane. Again they are in White's Directory of 76, '79 and '83 at The Grapes but in Kelly's Directory of 1888 they are described as a beer retailer living at 72 Rockingham Street. By 1891 they have moved to 106 Rockingham Street. Henry dies in 1898 at 23 Exeter Street, a road I can't find on any map. Henry and Sarah have eight children inclduing Henry Clapham born in 1855 on Turner Street. He stays with his parents on Turner Street but on his marriage to Prisclla Winfield in 1875 hs addresss is given as Pinstone Lane and his occupation is a moulder. Like his parents Henry and Priscilla have eight children, the eldest of whom is Edith who dies in 1877 while the family are living at 21 Court Granville Street. Like his parents Henry and his wife Sarah kept moving. In 1881 the family lived in Trafalger Street but then in search of work Henry moved his family to Heaton Norries, Stockport where from 1882 to 1888 they lived at 102 Bamford Street. But they moved again first to 27 Grafton Street (1891) then to 27 Providence street (1893). Henry then ends up in prison in 1897 for neglect of his family, on his release he goes awol. Can someone help trace him please?

The Grapes Public House, No 80, Trippet Lane

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title: The Grapes Public House, No 80, Trippet Lane

Location: Sheffield_City_Centre

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

 

 

Priscilla and the family move back to Sheffield and in 1901 they are living at 19 Kenyon street Hollis Croft in Sheffield. Priscilla dies a widow at 43 Brownell Street in 1907 and in 1911, her daughter, Bertha is living with two of her brothers at 50 St Thomas Street a few doors away from her future husband George Henry Needham who lived at 45 St Thomas Street. In 1919 George Henry and Blanche married and they settled into the Needham house in St Thomas Street

 

The Needham's

Although we know Matthew Needham lived in Sheffield and brought up a family there, we don't know where he was born. We do find that his son Joseph can be found living in Balm Green in 1816 with his wife Ann. It was a sad occasion as their son George was buried having died at Balm Green; two months later their third son Israel died. In 1831Ann died, living at Barkers Pool, and Joseph married Mary Hampshire. In 1841 Joseph and Mary were living in Bath Street, Ecclesall Brierlow. He is thought to have died in 1850 alone in Lord Street

The first time we pick up Thomas Needham Joseph and Ann's second child, is at Bath Street living with his father Joseph and step mother Mary. In 1846 still living at home Thomas marries Susan Beverley. By 1851 they had started a family and moved to Meadow Street but they kept on moving because when their son Maurice died in Aug 1853 they were living in George Street. A year later they moved to Meadow Street and in 1861 two years after Susan died Thomas and his family were living in Orange Street. Thomas married again, this time to Jane Wood in 1862.

General view of Broad Lane, Montgomery Memorial, centre, Red Hill, left

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title: General view of Broad Lane, Montgomery Memorial, centre, Red Hill, left

 

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

In 1864 George Needham was born and the family were living at 103 Broad Lane and they still lived there in 1871. But in 1876 the Needham's were living in St Thomas Street, first at number 39 (1876/8) before moving to number 45 in 1878. It would appear that George their second son stayed in St Thomas Street while Thomas and Jane moved to 19 Redhill

Nos. 115 -117 Broad Lane, No.49-57 St. Thomas Street  with Riodgers Lane

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nos. 115 -117 Broad Lane, No.49-57 St. Thomas Street with Rodgers Lane

 

Location: Sheffield_City_Centre

 

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

Yard of rear of Nos. 39-47 St. Thomas Street

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title: Yard of rear of Nos. 39-47 St. Thomas Street

 

Location: Sheffield_City_Centre

 

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

George, Thomas and Mary's second son was born on Broad Lane and lived with his parents until he got married in 1888 to Annie Burrows from when they lived at 45 St Thomas Street. George was a sheep shear grinder and part time salve maker from where the family heirloom came see the Gold Ring. George died at St Thomas Street in 1905.

Gable of No. 39 St. Thomas Street and gable of No. 1 in Court 5 St. Thomas Street

Gable of No. 39 St. Thomas Street and gable of No. 1 in Court 5 St. Thomas Street

Location: Sheffield_City_Centre

 

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to backs and terraced houses, Nos. 39-49 St. Thomas Street looking towards Broad Lane and Red Hill

 

 

 

 

 

Title: Back to backs and terraced houses, Nos. 39-49 St. Thomas Street looking towards Broad Lane and Red Hill

 

 

Location: Sheffield_City_Centre

 

 

Source: PictureSheffied: www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

 

 

 

George Henry, George and Annie's only son was born in 1891 at St Thomas Street. He lived their following his father's death in 1905 and after he married Bertha Needham in 1919. They lived there until 1936 when they moved to Berners Road on the Arbourthorne estate as part of the Sheffield slum clearance problem. Looking at the photographs you can see why. See memories for a look at life on St Thomas Street and how the Needham's of St Thomas Street were given a gold ring because of the healing powers of salve

Rodgers Lane looking from No. 47 St. Thomas Street towards Abney Street showing Bala Street (formerly West John Lane) halfway up on the left . showing side view of No. 2 Rodgers Lane

Rodgers Lane looking from No. 47 St. Thomas Street towards Abney Street showing Bala Street (formerly West John Lane) halfway up on the left . showing side view of No. 2 Rodgers Lane

 

Sheffield_City_Centre

 

Source: PictureSheffied : www.picturesheffield.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Needham's and Clapham's are concentrated into a very narrow area of central Sheffield, this partly reflects the size of Sheffield at the time but also shows how close people lived to their work. The other surprisng thing is that most families moved accommodation frequently; the exception is the Needham's who once they had established themselves in St Thomas Street stayed there for decades. By opening this link you can see where the Needham'sand Clapham's lived

 

|Trees | News | Records | Origins | Distribution | Famous | Residence | Archives | Privacy| Contact | ©2016 Nigel Needham