Needham Family

subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

Residences

Melbourne Hall

Melbourne Hall is an elegant mansion with a poolside setting, surrounded by beautiful grounds, outside Derby the county town of Derbyshire. The original house was built in the 12th century as the residence of the Bishops of Carlisle. Over the following years the lease of the house passed through many hands. Most of the lessees neglected the house until in 1592, Sir Francis Needham of London took a lease of the rectory from the Bishop of Carlisle, who had long ceased to use the derelict old rectory house , and had let the estate for many years. In 1596, the house was partially rebuilt and Sir Francis made his home there. In 1598 he purchased the old royal park and built up an estate from which the large Melbourne Hall Estate gradually developed. Today the estate is much reduced by sales, but the former park remains at the heart of it to this day. In 1629 Sir Francis sold his estate to Sir John Coke, who took a new lease of the rectory from the Bishop of Carlisle at the same time and rebuilt part of the house in 1630-31. His direct descendant Lord Ralph Kerr still lives there today. The rectory estate leased from the Bishop was eventually converted to freehold by Act of Parliament in 1704

 

Sources

1 . Conservation Areas in Melbourne - South Derbyshire : www. south - derby s.gov.uk/.../ Melbourne A4complete_tcm21-85590.pdf

2. http://www.touruk.co.uk/houses/housederby_melbourne.htm#text

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

|Trees | News | Records | Origins | Distribution | Famous | Residence | Archives | Privacy| Contact | ©2015 Nigel Needham