Needham Family

subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

Parish

Cromford

" CROMFORD , a chapelry and market town in the parish of Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 2 miles N. of Wirksworth. It is situated on the canal and the river Derwent, and is a station on the Buxton branch of the Midland railway. It was a crown manor at the time of the Conquest, and is called Crunford in Domesday Survey. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton-mills, which are worked by a sough nearly 2 miles long, and in the lead-mines and colour works.

The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £180, in the patronage of P. Arkwright, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small neat structure, erected and endowed by the late Sir Richard Arkwright. The schools, erected for the instruction of the children employed in the cotton factories, are mainly supported by Peter Arkwright, Esq. In 1654 Mrs. Mary Talbot founded almshouses for six poor widows. In the vicinity is Rock House, the seat of the Arkwrights, containing a portrait of Sir Richard Arkwright, who erected the first cotton-mill here in 1775.

Roman coins of the Lower Empire have been found at Scarthinnick, and a valuable muriate of lead is deposited in the sough or adit leading from the zinc and lead mines. The Cromford canal crosses the rivers Derwent and Amber by two aqueducts each 200 yards long, and passes under the High Peak railway, at Butterley, by a tunnel of 2,100 yards. The High Peak railway, with stationary engines for the conveyance of minerals, was constructed in 1830 at the cost of £200,000. The market is held on Saturday."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

 

CROMFORD, a chapelry , in the parish and hundred of Wirksworth, union of Bakewell, S. division of the county of Derby, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Matlock. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. .

Records

 

Type

Ecclesiastical Parish

Civil Jurisdictions

Hundred

Wirksworth

County

Derbyshire

Poor Law Union

Bakewell

Registration District

Bakewell

Records begin

Parish registers:   1797

Bishop's Transcripts:   1828

Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions

Rural Deanery

Ashove

Diocese

Lichfield

Province

Canterbury

Legal Jurisdictions

Probate Court

Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)

Location of Archive

Derbyshire Record Office

 

 

Church Records

Cromford parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:

FS PR's = FamilySearch Parish Registers
Cromford Parish Online Records

Baptisms Marriages Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PR's 1797-1912
  NONE
1869-1882
  NONE
1803-1844
  NONE

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use Jurisdictions 1851 . In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes

Cromford St Mary  was originally a township in Wirksworth, Derbyshire formed as a parish in 1869 and included part of the parish of Middleton by Wirksworth, Derbyshire

Derbyshire Record Office reference D3387 has deposited registers Bap 1797- 1990 Mar 1869-1977, 1980-1987 Burial none Banns 1869-1890, 1932-1972 there are some Arkwright family burials entered in the baptismal register 1843-1974.

The chapel of ease of St Mark Cromford opened in 1877, closed 1957 and was later demolished.

Derbyshire Record Office reference D 3387 has deposited registers Bap 1877-1957  Burial 1877-1954

Non-Conformist Churches

Wesleyan Methodist

Cromford Wesleyan Baptisms 1806-1837 : Transcribed by Jen Durbin, Perth, Western Australia, housed by John Palmer of Dorset

Adjacent Parishes

Parishes within 5 miles are:

Dethick Lea and Holloway (1.94 mi) Matlock Bath (1.98 mi) Matlock (2.19 mi) Middleton by Wirksworth (2.44 mi) Wirksworth (2.54 mi) Bonsall (2.58 mi) Tansley (2.92 mi) Alderwasley (2.94 mi) Griffe Grange (3.11 mi) Crich (3.17 mi) South Darley (3.61 mi) Carsington (4.05 mi) Brackenfield (4.64 mi) South Wingfield (4.7 mi) Winster (4.71 mi) Kirk Ireton (4.79 mi) Brassington (4.87 mi) Darley (4.98 mi) Ashover (5.18 mi) Hazlewood (5.18 mi) Birchover (5.25 mi) Bridge Hill (5.25 mi) Hognaston (5.39 mi) Heage (5.42 mi) Bradbourne with Ballidon (5.84 mi) Stanton (5.86 mi) Belper (6.11 mi) Pentrich (6.35 mi) North Wingfield (7.55 mi)

 

Sources

1. Family Search:https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Cromford,_Derbyshire_Genealogy

2. Genuki ;http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Cromford

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

|Trees | News | Records | Origins | Distribution | Famous | Residence | Archives | Privacy| Contact | ©2015 Nigel Needham