Needham Family

subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

Parish

Baslow

Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817 Transcription by Barbarann Ayars © 2001
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL

] The village of Baslow lies about five miles from Bakewell. The manor was given by Henry de Curzon before the year 1330, to Richard Vernon, from whom it has descended to his Grace the Duke of Rutland. Some records describe a moiety of the manor of Baslow, as held under the Abbot of Derley in the reign of Henry VI. together with the manor of Bubnell, by John Earl of Shrewsbury. Bubnell is now considered as part of the manor of Baslow, belonging to the Duke of Rutland. Bubnell hall, formerly a seat of the Bassets of Blore, and afterwards, by marriage, of Copwood, is now a farm house.

The patronage of the parochial chapel of Baslow, which had belonged to the vicar of Bakewell, was, by an act of parliament, passed in 1811, vested in the Duke of Devonshire and his heirs.

There is a charity school at Baslow, with an endowment of about 18 pounds per annum, arising from sundry small benefactions. The manor of Calver, which belonged in the reign of Henry VI. to Thomas Lynford, was granted by King Henry VIII to Rowland Shakerley, and having passed to the Tracys, was conveyed to the Stratfords, and afterwards purchased, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by the Eyres of Hassop, in which family it still remains.

The townships of Curbar , Froggatt , and Rowland , lie within this chapelry; the two former are in the manor of Baslow; Rowland is a manor belonging to the Earl of Newburgh.

Records

Type

Ecclesistical Parish

Civil Jurisdictions

Hundred

High Peake

County

Derbyshire

Poor Law Union

Bakewell PLU

Registration District

Bakewell

Records begin

Parish registers:  1569

Bishop's Transcripts:   1662

Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions

Rural Deanery

Eyam

Diocese

Lichfield

Province

Canterbury

Legal Jurisdictions

Probate Court

Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield

Location of Archive

Derbyshire Record Office

Baslow is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1770 from chapelry in Bakewell, Derbyshire Ancient Parish . Other places in the parish include: Baslow and Bubnell, Baslow with Bubnell, Bubrell, Calver, Curbar, Froggatt, and Rowland.

BASLOW, a chapelry , in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 4 miles (N. E.) from Bakewell. This place is situated on the river Derwent, and on the road from Bakewell to Chesterfield. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans . [1]

Church Records

Baslow St Anne originally a chapel of Bakewell, Derbyshire parish formed as a parish in 1869 included the hamlet of Bubnell and townships of  Calver, Curbar and Froggett until 1868 and  Rowland

Derbyshire Record Office reference D 2380 has deposited registers Bap 1569 -1982 Mar 1569-1998 Burial 1569-1935 Banns 1823-1871, 1915-1971

Non-Conformist Churches
  • Primitive Methodist
  • Wesleyan Methodist
  • Wesleyan Methodist Reform

On line records

Baslow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have have online indexes by the following groups:

FS PR's = FamilySearch Parish Registers
Baslow St Anne (1569) Parish Online Records

Baptisms Marriages Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PR's 1569-1912
  NONE
1574-1912
  NONE
1574-1912
  NONE

 

 

Adjacent Parishes

Parishes within 5 miles are:

Chatsworth (2.24 mi) Edensor (2.81 mi) Stony Middleton (2.98 mi) Holmesfield (3.16 mi) Eyam (3.67 mi) Beeley (4.02 mi) Longstone (4.05 mi) Brampton (4.11 mi) Barlow (4.17 mi) Bakewell (4.65 mi) Dore (4.98 mi) Ashford (5.33 mi) Brampton St Thomas (5.75 mi) Stanton (6.18 mi) Darley (6.19 mi) Hathersage (6.26 mi) Dronfield (6.46 mi) Ashover (7.94 mi) King Sterndale (9.95 mi) Derwent (10.44 mi)

 

 

Sources

1. Family Search: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Baslow,_Derbyshire_Genealogy

2. Genuki ; http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Baslow/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

|Trees | News | Records | Origins | Distribution | Famous | Residence | Archives | Privacy| Contact | ©2015 Nigel Needham